[JMP-news] JMP is 6! Leaving beta this year! And FOSSY 🙂️

Denver Gingerich denver at soprani.ca
Wed Feb 15 18:05:54 UTC 2023

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly https://jmp.chat update!

In case it's been a while since you checked out JMP, here's a refresher: JMP
lets you send and receive text and picture messages (and calls) through a
real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else
that has a Jabber client.  Among other things, JMP has these features: Your
phone number on every device; Multiple phone numbers, one app; Free as in
Freedom; Share one number with multiple people.

JMP is 6 years old today!  When we launched in 2017 we had no idea exactly
how far we'd go, or that we'd be making one of the most popular chat clients
on F-Droid (that is Cheogram Android, which is based on Conversations).
 Last year we called JMP "phone-feature-complete" and since then we've made
all of JMP's features even easier to use, shepherding big improvements to
various Jabber clients, including Movim and Dino, while continuing to
provide first-class telephony and messaging features in our flagship mobile
app: Cheogram Android.

With so many of the edges now smoothed, and a new onboarding flow almost
ready to go, it's now time to announce: JMP will be leaving beta this year!

What does that mean?  Primarily this is our vote of confidence (as the JMP
and Cheogram team) that JMP, and apps we develop such as Cheogram Android,
are ready for widespread use.  While of course there will still be
improvements to make, we believe it will be able to be recommended to your
friends and family (especiall Android users) without reservation.

Naturally there are a couple things to do yet to make that happen, and one
of them is to put Cheogram Android in the Play Store at last.  This will be
a paid (but still free-as-in-freedom) app that will include one month of JMP
service.  Of course, you will still be able to get Cheogram Android from all
the other places you can already get it (such as F-Droid and our own
repos/APKs).

The other main thing is to set a final post-beta monthly price for JMP.
 And, while it won't take effect until we launch later this year, we are
able to now officially announce it: US$4.99/month, with incidental pricing
remaining the same (i.e. extra/international minutes will remain what they
are now).  Note that there will be discounts for additional JMP numbers
linked to your primary JMP number, and also (before JMP leaves beta) a
chance to lock in the existing pricing for a period of time.  Having never
changed the price since we started JMP 6 years ago, and given the inflation
and our own staffing costs since then, we feel the new price will allow JMP
to remain both sustainable, and able to face new challenges and exciting
opportunities going forward (like the EU's DMA, for one).  We want to make
JMP the best phone number service, and Cheogram the best gateway to
everything in the world!

Speaking of Cheogram, a JMP newsletter these days wouldn't be complete
without mention of new Cheogram Android features (2.12.1-2 released in APK
form and Cheogram F-Droid repo today!):

* it will now offer to setup Dialer integration automatically when available
* the Call Logs (cdrs) command replaces the usage command (giving you more info)
* the new onboarding flow is improved even more
* admins of a Snikket instance can create a new Jabber ID and JMP number all inside the app now (see the video demo: https://kumi.tube/w/jzYKJzdhtdBfPbFCH2VnDZ)
* new theme: any colour you want! (requires Android 11 or higher)

Note that the Call Logs (cdrs) command will roll out to everyone in about a
week.  If you'd like to try it before then, please send a private inquiry to
JMP support and we'll activate it for you.

Lastly, some of you may be interested to know that the JMP/Cheogram team are
going to be venturing out to a conference for the first time since March
2020!  In particular, most of the JMP/Cheogram team will be attending FOSSY
(https://fossy.us) this year, in Portland, Oregon, USA this July 13-16.
 We'll be announcing specifics of our involvement (whether we have a booth,
talks, etc.) closer to the dates.  In the meantime, just know we'll be
there, and would love to chat with any JMP/Cheogram users, prospective
customers, or otherwise!

With that, we'll cap off our 6 years. :)  And what an exciting 6 years it's
been!  With the big launch this year, you can bet on many more to come!

To learn what's happening with JMP between newsletters, here are some ways
you can find out:

* The chatroom (xmpp:discuss at conference.soprani.ca?join) remains the heart of the community.  You can also join from your web browser: https://anonymous.cheogram.com/discuss@conference.soprani.ca or from Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/#_bifrost_discuss_conference.soprani.ca:aria-net.org
* The blog (https://blog.jmp.chat), where you may be reading this. Can also be followed in a client like Movim: https://blog.jmp.chat/b/subscribe-using-movim
* The Lemmy Community: https://lemmy.ml/c/sopranica
* The Subreddit: https://reddit.com/r/sopranica
* On Twitter: https://twitter.com/JMP_chat

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful rest of your week!

--
Denver (aka ossguy)
https://soprani.ca/