[JMP-news] Holidays

singpolyma denver at soprani.ca
Wed Dec 13 00:37:23 UTC 2023

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly https://jmp.chat update!

In case it's been a while since you checked out JMP, here's a refresher: JMP
lets you send and receive text and picture messages (and calls) through a
real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else
that has a Jabber client.  Among other things, JMP has these features: Your
phone number on every device; Multiple phone numbers, one app; Free as in
Freedom; Share one number with multiple people.

Automatic refill for users of the data plan (https://jmp.chat/sim) was
rolled out to everyone this fall. This has been going well and we fully
expect to enable new SIM and eSIM orders for all JMP customers (with no
waitlist) in January, after the holidays.

Speaking of holidays, MBOA staff, including JMP support staff, will be
taking an end of year break just like we always do. Expect support response
times to be longer than usual from December 18 until January 2.

This fall also saw the silent launch of new inventory features for JMP.
Historically, JMP has never held inventory of phone numbers, buying them
directly from our carrier partners when a customer places an order.
Unfortunately, this leaves us at the mercy of which regions our partners
choose to keep in stock, and this year saw several occasions where there was
no stock at all for all of Canada. So we now have a limited amount of local
inventory to improve coverage of important regions, and may eventually be
adding a function for "premium numbers" for very rare area codes or similar
which cost more to stock.

We have also been working in partnership with Snikket on a cross-platform
SDK which we hope will make it easier for developers to build applications
that integrate with the Jabber network without needing to be protocol or
standards experts. Watch the chatroom and the Snikket blog for more
information and demos.

There have also been several releases of the Cheogram Android app (latest is
2.13.0-1) with new features including:

* Improved call connection stability
* Verify DNSSEC and DANE and show status in UI
* Show command UI on channels when there are commands to show
* Show thread selector when starting a mention
* Circle around thread selector
* Several Android 14 specific fixes, including for dialler integration
* Opening WebXDC from home screen even from a very old message

To learn what's happening with JMP between newsletters, here are some ways
you can find out:

* The chatroom (xmpp:discuss at conference.soprani.ca?join) remains the heart of the community.  You can also join from your web browser: https://anonymous.cheogram.com/discuss@conference.soprani.ca or from Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/#_bifrost_discuss_conference.soprani.ca:aria-net.org
* The blog (https://blog.jmp.chat), where you may be reading this. It can also be followed in a client like Movim: https://blog.jmp.chat/b/subscribe-using-movim
* The Lemmy Community: https://lemmy.ml/c/sopranica
* The Subreddit: https://reddit.com/r/sopranica
* On ATprotocol: https://bsky.app/profile/blog.jmp.chat
* On Twitter: https://twitter.com/JMP_chat

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful rest of your week!