[JMP-news] JMP this month: on Motherboard, what's up at LibrePlanet!
denver at soprani.ca
Fri Jan 5 19:08:08 UTC 2018
Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly https://jmp.chat/ update, this month giving a special welcome to all the new subscribers that found us via Motherboard (more on that below)!
In case it's been a while since you checked out JMP, here's a refresher: JMP lets you send and receive text and picture messages through a real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else that has an XMPP client. JMP's tagline, "Freedom for SMS", captures the freedom that JMP gives you from traditional cell phone carriers, as well as the fully-free nature of all the software that powers JMP (licensed entirely under AGPLv3+).
Here's what's been going on with JMP and Soprani.ca over the past month and a bit:
* our founder's talk for LibrePlanet ("Sustainable free software: it needs your business") has been accepted and we've also confirmed we'll have a JMP booth at LibrePlanet - you can meet some of the people involved with JMP there; we'd love to chat if you happen to be around!
** LibrePlanet is a great conference for those interested in free/libre software (like JMP), which takes place March 24-25 in the Boston area - see https://libreplanet.org/2018/ for details and registration
* Motherboard covered Soprani.ca (including JMP and WOM - https://wom.community/ ) as well as JMP's founder in a couple articles last month, which caused quite a buzz and substantially increased the JMP userbase - you can find them here:
* as usual, a variety of bug fixes and minor improvements were added; for a complete list, see:
And here's what's coming up in the near future:
Last month we completed some of the final organizational steps needed in order to accept recurring payments without using PayPal (paperwork is fun!). We'll be implementing the technical side of this next, so we hope to have new recurring payment options (that don't require you to use PayPal) and plan options within the next couple months. In the meantime, you can still pay for your JMP account using Bitcoin Cash or Bitcoin (just reply to this email or contact us per https://jmp.chat/#payment for details), as well as the usual/default PayPal methods, along with a few other options you can ask us about.
If you'd like to know what's happening with JMP between emails like this, here are some ways you can find out:
* follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JMP_chat
* find us in xmpp:discuss at conference.soprani.ca?join - a group chat accessible from most XMPP clients, and on the web: https://firstname.lastname@example.org
* signup for the 30-day free trial at https://jmp.chat/#signup and try it out!
Our current top priorities for next features (roughly in order) are: behind-the-scenes work to make JMP more scalable, additional plan and payment options, and automated Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin payment support. We'll be sure to keep you in the loop on all the new developments.
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!
More information about the JMP-news